Energy bites are a great nutrient-dense snack that provides a quick pick-me-up for you and your family when needed. If you have them in your fridge or freezer, you may find yourself reaching for pre-packaged snacks less often, and choosing healthier eating more. Even though there are some high quality energy bites available in stores, if you make your own, not only will you save money, but you can decide what ingredients go in them. After trying this recipe once or twice, feel free to make variations to it by adding other kinds of seeds or nuts, perhaps protein powder, or even chocolate chips as a special treat. I have made these bites nut-free so that the kids can take them to school or a summer camp. They are packed with nutrients that will help them stay energized, focused, and happy. It also works well to make them ahead of time, and freeze them for later use.
Cacao Oatmeal Energy Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1 cup soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Place dates and oats in a food processor and process until the mixture starts coming together and forming a ball.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon, roll the dough into balls. Refrigerate or freeze.